Ian Kadish

My name is Ian Kadish and I recently graduated from Marshall University with a degree in Business Management and minors in Marketing and Entrepreneurship. I was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. I have three younger brothers, Kendall, Max, and Cooper. I have played baseball my entire life and am lucky enough to have the opportunity to continue playing for the Toronto Blue Jays.



I want to thank my Mom and Dad for everything they have ever done to further my baseball career. They have gone through a tremendous amount of work to make sure I am happy and I couldn't thank them enough! I love you guys.

Please feel free to leave comments! Enjoy...

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

MLB Reports #2

So MLB Reports asked me to do another blog entry because there was good feedback on the first one.  This will be a 2 part entry, the first part looking back at my 2011 season and how it went and the second part will be about what my offseason will consist of and my expectations for 2012.

Part 1 - A Look Back at the 2011 Season

In my opinion, the 2011 season had it's ups and downs as well a learning curve, both personally and as a team.  The Bluefield team made a great first impression and was a big hit (no pun intended).  It was the Blue Jays first year in Bluefield after a 52 year existence of the Baltimore Oriole organization.  We surely set the bar high for next year's team.  From what everybody said, the Oriole's didn't win much in Bluefield and the fans didn't show much support because they weren't winning.  We brought a Division Championship to Bluefield in our first year, which the fans were ecstatic about, but what surprised the team was how into the Bluefield/Princeton rivalry the fans were.  I'm telling you, these fans went nuts when we played the Princeton Rays.  They sold out the stadium every game of the series because of the close proximity of the two teams (only about 15 minutes).  The rivalry was for the Mercer Cup.  It's called the Mercer Cup because the two teams are located in Mercer County.  The Blue Jays won the Mercer Cup this year and I honestly think the fans were happier we won the Mercer Cup rather than the Division Championship!  Princeton had won the Mercer Cup the past several years and it's about time it's back in Bluefield.  We made it all the way to the League Championship vs. the Johnson City Cardinals, but came up just short.  They won the best of 3 series to capture their second league championship in a row.

The team was a great group of guys.  Everybody got along and a big reason why we were so successful was due to our chemistry.  Everybody pushed one another and everybody picked each other up.  We played as a team, just how our manager wanted us to play.  He always said to put aside your personal goals and go after the team goals and your personal goals will follow.  Our coaching staff was just as great.  I can't even begin to explain how much I learned from my manager.  He taught me not only on the field, but off the field.  I actually have a notebook full of quotes he said and lessons he would teach the team throughout the season.  Now that I think of it, I still owe him a Marshall University clock and Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce (Montgomery Inn is a world famous rib place in Cincinnati with the BEST barbecue sauce in the history of all barbecue sauces).  He loves collecting clocks and has a great amount of them hanging in the locker room.  I owe him a Marshall University one because I came into the locker room one day and saw a WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY clock hanging from a wall.  Marshall and West Virginia are HUGE rivals and it's either one or the other...he told me if I got him a Marshall clock he would get rid of the West Virginia clock.

I could go on and on with the stories, but overall the season was a successful one, and one that made me want more...Now that it's the offseason, I can concentrate on what I need to improve on and prepare for a strong Spring Training and 2012 season...

Part 2 - Offseason and Expectations for 2012


This offseason, I am back in Huntington, West Virginia.  Marshall is located in Huntington and there are a few different reasons why I chose to come back even though I graduated last May.  The biggest reason I chose to come back is due to the fact that I would have a great gym to train at for free.  The Strength and Conditioning Coach that I had in college told me I could train there in the offseason for free if I wanted to.  The pitching coach at Marshall also told me that I could come throw with him whenever I wanted/needed to.  He offered to have somebody catch my bullpens when the time came and he also said I could face some hitters before I left for Spring Training, which will be a great help.  That makes it so much easier for me rather than being at home because I would have to find a gym in Cincinnati and pay a monthly fee and more than likely the gym wouldn't have everything I needed.  I also would be scrambling to find somebody/somewhere to throw when the time came.

After a long college season, followed by another professional short-season, I gave my body a week off to recuperate from all the wear and tear of the baseball season.  This offseason, my plan is to hit the weight room hard in order to become bigger, faster, and stronger in a baseball pitching aspect.  The Blue Jays gave everybody in the organization a big booklet with specific workouts in them.   I have specific goals that I am wishing to achieve in the offseason.  I also want to improve on my flaws not only in the weight room, but on the field as well.  I am going to take time off from throwing to give my arm a rest, but not too long of a rest because I can't use spring training as a time for my arm to get in shape.  I need to go to spring training 100% ready to go...

Aside from training in the offseason,  I got a job working at Dick's Sporting Goods.  It's just like a Sports Authority or any other sporting good store like that.  I wanted to get a job because I do not want to rely on my parents for everything.  Many minor league players have to get a job in the offseason because not everybody signs a large signing bonus so it is not uncommon to get an offseason job.  I am actually looking forward to it because it will keep me busy when I am not training.

My expectations are just like any other minor league player's expectations.  We all have goals we want to achieve and we all have dreams we want to come true.  I'm no different.  I am very hard on myself and push my body to great lengths, almost to failure because I know it will pay off during the season.  The work I put in off the field will prepare me for every situation on field.  There are specific expectations/goals that I have.  Of course, one of them is to hopefully receive a promotion, but before I can do that I have to better myself.  I'm going to work extremely hard this offseason, harder than I have ever worked because that's all I know.  I have worked extremely hard to get to this point and I am still not satisfied... I'm going to get after it and hopefully the hard work will pay off...

No comments:

Post a Comment